Total Pageviews

Monday 3 July 2023

Tags For Matariki Swap

 








What is Matariki?

Matariki is the Māori name for the cluster of stars also known as the Pleiades. It rises in midwinter and for many Māori, it heralds the start of a new year. Iwi across New Zealand understand and celebrate Matariki in different ways and at different times.

Matariki is an abbreviation of ‘Ngā Mata o te Ariki Tāwhirimātea (‘The eyes of the god Tāwhirimātea’) and refers to a large cluster of stars, known in some European traditions as the Pleiades. According to Māori tradition, the god of the wind, Tāwhirimātea, was so angry when his siblings separated their parents, Ranginui the sky father and Papatūānuku the earth mother, that he tore out his eyes and threw them into the heavens.

The cycle of life and death

Traditionally, Matariki was a time to acknowledge the dead and to release their spirits to become stars. It was also a time to reflect, to be thankful to the gods for the harvest, to feast and to share the bounty of the harvest with family and friends.

Matariki revived

Matariki, or Māori New Year, celebrations were once popular, but had largely stopped by the 1940s. In the 2000s, they were revived. Now, thousands of people take part in events to honour the beginning of the Māori New Year, and in whānau celebrations to remember those who have died and to plan for the year ahead. From 2022, a public holiday celebrating Matariki will be held on a Friday in June or July each year.

These are some Tags I made, representing the nine stars of Matariki. I hope the explanation above is helpful. We, here in New Zealand, celebrate the Maori New Year on July 14th, the day I am going to SENZ,  big craft show. There is a Tag challenge, where you make tags representing Matariki. I used an Altenew embossing folder (Mighty Waves 3D) on these tags to represent the sky as well as the waves (water). Matariki celebrates both these. We needed to make 5 - 10 tags, one which we are to wear so others who have made some can recognize us and we can swap tags.  We pin one to a board as we go into the craft show, and a winner will be chosen from those pinned on the board. So once we have swapped our 8 tags with others, we will have 8 new tags.  I'm hopeless at explaining things so my apoloies if you are confused! Please feel free to ask me questions! My tags have the nine Matariki stars on, placed loosely in the formation they appear in the sky. Matariki is all about colour as well!


The tag above is the one I will be wearing, and keeping. I used a stencil with 3Dembossing pasted over top, and when it was dry I splattered on some Dinkles to add colour. I really like how the tag turn out.
Thelast lot of tags used the Mighty Wave embossing folder, and I swiped the tag with a Brilliance Gold stamp pad. I like how they turned out.
I will have photo's of the craft how to post here, and photos of the tags I swapped. I'm not in it to win it, just to have fun and see what my imagination could come up with for Matariki. (Pronounced Muh-ta-ree-kee)
Thanks for dropping by! Have a SUNSHINE day! Remember to always be your authentic self, and shine bright each and every day!

Sorry, I can't get rid of that red square, or the bit at the top f the post, grrrrr!!

3 comments:

  1. These tags are wonderful, Sunshine, and I hope you have a great time swapping! And thanks for the background info, too — I love learning about different cultural histories and traditions. -Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Andrea! The SENZ craft show goes over three days. At the moment I will be going on the first day, but may possibly go again on the third day. Who knows! It's a long way for me to go on public transport, but you never know, I might go two days as it is so much fun! Have fun at your craft show:-) Sunshine xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is something new to me. So glad you shared the info. The tags look wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! I love to hear from you so please feel free to leave me a comment, or ask a question or two! Thank you, hugs from Sunshine, Bella-Rosa and Romeo-Valentino - my two "supervisors"!