Total Pageviews

Wednesday 11 April 2018

Auckland Hit By Massive Storm Over Night.



This is what's left of the neighbours tree after the storm!  t was one wild night for sure.  Wind gusts up to 14o km and hour and ran the was horizontal not vertical.  No power from 9 pm until 4.30 am the next morning.  The wind sounded like a jet plane taking at at close range.
Above is what is left of the bird bath.  I don't know where the rest of it is, but it isn't on my place!  
My back porch roof has gone, and I found a large piece of it on the ramp at the front of the house.  It must have blown over the roof of the house.  Just thankful it didn't smash any windows on the way. 
 This is what's left of the neighbours tree.  I hope they take the whole tree down because it now has a lean on it and if it comes down it will ht my house or the neighbours house.  Part of the tree came down on my place about four years ago.
It's a big mess with leaves and branches everywhere.  Not sure if there's any damage to the garden shed.  The neighbours are coming on the weekend to chop the tree up and remove what's on my place.  Ill know more then.
Just as well the tree didn't fall any further the left of this photo above, because there is a house really close to the fence line. 
I had to wait for about three hours to take these photos because it was still pouring with rain and the wind had not let up.  Not a good day to be outside! 
It was a big tree, maybe three stories high originally.   

Below, Bella-Rosa checks out what's left of the bird bath!  Not much!  Oh well, I'll get a new one!

I have just updated this with new photos, so it's now a bit jumbled!  My apologies!  We were not given any warning that the wind was going to be so severe, so no-one was prepared for what happened over night
We were hit by a massive storm  last night.  These photos  show my neighbours tree that has come down at the back of my place, and onto my garden shed.  We had winds up to 150 km an hour last night, heavy rain the was being blown horizontal, not vertical.  Power was out right across Auckland most of the night.  I lost power here at 9 pm last night and have no idea how long it was out for.  I was still awake after midnight and there was no power then.  I was able to use my laptop to play Solitaire on because it also runs on battery as well as power.  And it gave out some light as well.  There are tree's down all over the place, rubbish bins everywhere, roofs blown off houses, fallen trees blocking roads.  Its a real mess.  The wind was so strong last night the house was shaking - really scary stuff.  This is by far, the worst storm I have ever experienced.  No damage here, except for the neighbours tree coming down, the bird bath being smashed, a deck chair being blown off the porch and into the middle of the lawn, and my porch roof being demolished.  And it is COLD!  Still raining and still got a lot of very strong wind, but it has calmed down compared to last night.  Around 7 pm last night I had the foresight to fill up the thermos with boiling water.  I just knew the power was going to go off as it had been flickering on and off for some time.  So glad I did because while the storm raged and I played Solitaire on my laptop, I was able to have a cup of tea!!  So there I was in the dark, with a miners torch on my head, sipping hot tea and playing cards!
 Thanks for dropping in, have a SUNSHINE day!  {HUGS} from me to YOU:-)







2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! I’m glad you weren’t hurt and that you didn’t have any serious damage. I usually enjoy storms, but they can be scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad that you are safe through all that. So sorry about all the damage. I know here it is very costly to have trees taken down. Even those Mother Nature has started taking down herself.

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! I love to hear from you so please feel free to leave me a comment, or ask a question or two! Thank you, hugs from Sunshine, Bella-Rosa and Romeo-Valentino - my two "supervisors"!