Total Pageviews

Sunday 20 May 2018

Truck Crash

 While talking to a friend on the phone yesterday afternoon, I saw a truck driving past my place.  The next thing I see the truck fish-tail and swerve sharply.  Then I hear  a very loud crash and I see a truck and a large tree in front garden coming towards the house where I was sitting!  I grabbed my camera and rushed outside.  I was first on the scene and all I could see was to guys slumped forward in their seats, not moving. I panicked and thought they were dead!  After making sure they were ok and had no injuries I took these photos.  
 They had hired this truck to move some stuff, but the truck empty at the time of the crash.  These "Hireace" trucks are notoriously hard to control when they are empty.  They sway a lot and are not easy to control.  
 Thank heavens my large Palm tree was whee it was, because if it hadn't been there to stop the truck, the truck would have gone into the front of the house right where I was sitting!  
The driver of the truck was quite shaken and upset as he had just hired the truck earlier that day.  He wasn't speeding, so it wasn't speed that caused the crash. 
My poor fence and big tree have taken a bit of a battering, but I have the guys name and his insurance will pay to fix the fence and the tree.  I love that tree, it gives lot's of shade in summer and shelter for the birds.  I  hope it can be saved. 
Poor tree, it's on quite a lean now!  I just hope with all the rain we have had in the last few days, that the roots don't get waterlogged and uproot the tree.  
Three of us, including me witnessed it and we all said that the driver was not speeding at the time of the crash.   
I know I love car crash photography, but my main concern was someone may have been injured.  When you see two guys slumped forward and not moving after a crash, you think the worst.  I must have asked them 50 times if they wee sure they were ok!
Both my cats were inside at the time, "Romeo" was on the top if his climbing tree, which is about 6 feet tall.  He jumped off where he was sitting and went so quickly he took the mat he was sitting on with him!  "Bella" bolted and hid under the bed for two hours!  
As I said, I was talking to a friend on the phone at the time, and when I saw the crash, I told her I had to go and would call her back..  I threw the phone down on the table without hanging it up!  After the crash I came back inside and hung the phone up properly, it had been off the hook for about half an hour!  I called my friend back and she said she had heard the crash through the phone and thought one of my cats had tipped the table over!  When I told her it was a truck coming though my front fence she was in shock!  
So I had a 'busy' afternoon...but not making cards!  I have been out this morning and tied the fence up as best I can to stop dogs wandering in.  It's now a bit safer for "Bella" to be outside.  I have cut some branches off a tree and put them in the gaps where the fence has some missing palings.  I just have to wait for the insurance company to come and fix it, heaven knows how long that will be.
Thanks for dropping by,  have a SUNSHINE day! {HUGS} from me to YOU:-)

2 comments:

  1. Oh good gracious! Should I say how lucky you are not to have your house damaged because it's certainly not lucky to lose your fence and tree. I hope it doesn't take long to fix. And I'm glad those guys were able to walk away from it. Sheesh!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my goodness! First a big storm and now a truck crash - your poor trees and yard have had a rough go of it. I’m so glad no one was injured and that the damage wasn’t more serious. I can’t imagine what our cats would do - they hide for two hours when I vacuum!

    ReplyDelete

Hi there! I love to hear from you so please feel free to leave me a comment, or ask a question or two! Thank you, hugs from Sunshine, Bella-Rosa and Romeo-Valentino - my two "supervisors"!